Meditation Seminar

I recently went to a 10 day meditation seminar. It is called Vipassana. One of the hardest things I ever did. I arrived on a Wednesday. The whole thing started that night and we entered what is called Noble Silence for the next nine days. Noble Silence means no talking or communicating in any way with other students. You could speak with the teacher or course manager if one needed to handle a material matter. In addittion there is no writing, reading or contact with the outside world. I quickly realized that I was on a journey that would take me within. Little did I know how much turbulence I would encounter on this trip. The next day started at 4am. That is when we woke up by a “gong”. There was another “gong” at 4:20am. That was because at 4:01am we had pretty much all hit the snooze button. Now we had 10 minutes before the first meditation session. From 4:30 am until 6:30 am I had a choice between meditating in the Meditation Hall or in my room. We had received instructions the night before as we would for the next 10 days on what to meditate on. Day 1 we were to observe our breathing and the area around inside the nose. We were to notice any sensations in this area. Breakfast was served at 6:30am. I really looked forward to meals. I had from 6:30am until 8am to eat, rest, walk around a bit and get ready for the day. From 8am until 9am everyone was required to be in the Meditation Hall and Goenke(the head teacher who taught via DVD) guided us into and out of a meditation session. From 9am until 11am I had the choice to continue meditation in the Hall or In my room. 11am lunch was served. This was the “big meal” of the day. It was very good. The entire diet was vegetaraion. I had until 1pm to eat, walk, rest, get cleaned up and do whatever else I could think of. From 1pm until 2:30pm I had the choice of meditating in the Hall or in my room. From 2:30pm until 3:30pm everyone was required to be in the Meditation Hall for a guided meditation. From 3:30 until 5pm I could continue working in the Hall or in my room. 5pm was the tea break. Tea and Fruit was available. From 6pm to 7pm everyone was required to be in the Hall for a guided meditaiton. From 7pm until 8:30pm we watched a DVD presentation from Goenke called the Day’s Discourse. These Discourses were very good and we were given instructions on how to meditate for the next day. From 8:30pm until 9pm we meditated using the “new” technique. 9pm to 10pm we retired to our rooms. 10pm Lights out. Each day followed this schedule. More on my experience later.

One thought on “Meditation Seminar”

  1. Can’t wait to hear more & am so very proud of you for taking on this journey! As you know, just a single day of silence at Kripalu was torturous for me – the battle with myself was a fierce one. I can only imagine the strength & perseverence it takes to go this much further. TTYS,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *